[birdky] Re: nighthawk bonanza

  • From: JEswindell@xxxxxxx
  • To: kistlers@xxxxxxxxx, birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 07:26:55 -0400 (EDT)

Had a similar flock of Nighthawks passing over around 5 PM yesterday.   Too
spread out to get a good count but probably at least 50.  Direction of
flight was north to south.

John Swindells
Nelson County

In a message dated 9/9/2011 9:23:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kistlers@xxxxxxxxx writes:
We saw  the most nighthawks we've ever seen at one time by far this
evening.
Birding near Nolin R. Lake (Dog Creek and Wax campsites), we had a  flock of
about 50 birds come over flying together to the southeast with a
no-nonsense
migrational attitude. Then, about 6:00, we had another much  larger flock
come over; I estimated 150 birds, but they were so spread out  it was hard
get a handle on them. Within three or four minutes another  flock appeared,
but the first flock came back over the horizon to feed over  the lake. For
about ten minutes we had hundreds of birds in the air, some  moving through
in a straight line, others circling and feeding. At one  point we had a
flock
of nighthawks flying straight in a southeasterly  direction, and, high above
them, another flock flying just as determinedly  to the southwest, with
dozens of birds, maybe more, in each group.  Interspersed at various
altitudes were feeding individuals, swooping and  circling. The entire show
was highlighted by the evening light on the  clouds; it was an amazing
once-in-a-lifetime event. A conservative estimate  might be 500 nighthawks,
but there could have been many more. Throughout  the rest of the evening we
saw small flocks of 10 to 20 birds moving  through.

In other news, we accumulated a few warblers here and  there throughout  the
day.

Blue-winged

Nashville

Black-throated  green