[birdky] West. Henderson Co.

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:18:55 -0600

I drove all over western Henderson County looking for birds and
waiting for the fog to burn off.
I went out early to Horseshoe Rd. slough but could see nothing.
Then to Grassy Pond/Powells Lake Unit of the Sloughs WMA.
Back to Horseshoe Rd. slough. Walked through the muddy fields until I
could see water.
Finally saw some Mallards and Pintails the vague forms of 3 Swans.
The I went to Crenshaw Tract of the Sloughs WMA. Fog burned off quick.
Back to Horseshoe Rd. slough. Eureka! I counted Tundra Swans several
times. Finally decided on 62.

Be careful going to Horseshoe Rd. slough. The road there is bad. And
at Horseshoe Rd. you must ford
water, as bpb said, about 10 inches deep for about 60 feet long.

Saw the most Snow Geese over Wood Tract. The most Canadas at Muddy
Slough.
The most Greater White-fronted at J Dance Rd. intersection with 268.

Western Henderson Co., Henderson, US-KY
Feb 17, 2012 7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Dense fog, worst I've seen in years. It did not burn off
until nearly 10AM.
32 species

Greater White-fronted Goose  X
Snow Goose  X
Canada Goose  X
Tundra Swan  62     At Horseshoe Road slough.
Gadwall  X
Mallard  X
Northern Shoveler  X
Northern Pintail  X