[birdky] Union & Hend. Co.

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:52:17 -0600

With all the frozen water I thought I would check Uniontown Dam.
Might as well not.

Drove the Uniontown/Mt. Vernon Rd. into Henderson Co. Saw no eagles at
the nest near Grassy Pond/Powells Lake.
Checked Wood Tract at the Sloughs WMA. Tundra Swans are back (if they
ever really left.)

Did some birding in Indiana, then back into Henderson at Audubon State
Park.
After Audubon Park, I decided to check the Heron Rookery north of
Audubon Park.
No Great Blue Herons.

But, a new Bald Eagles nest with one sitting in the nest and a 2nd
soaring nearby.
The nest is East of the Rookery.

Uniontown Dam (John T. Myers Lock & Dam, Union, US-KY
Feb 13, 2012 7:45 AM - 8:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
11 species

Mallard  2
Ring-necked Duck  4
Common Goldeneye  4
Great Blue Heron  1
Cooper's Hawk  2     apparent pair hanging out together
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Rock Pigeon  X
Mourning Dove  X
American Crow  X
Horned Lark  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X

Sloughs WMA - Wood Tract, Henderson, US-KY
Feb 13, 2012 9:20 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     mostly iced over, except extreme south end where the
swans were
1 species

Tundra Swan  60

John James Audubon SP, Henderson, US-KY
Feb 13, 2012 11:30 AM - 1:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Wilderness lake 30% iced over. No waterfowl there.
17 species

Canada Goose  24     passing over heading SW
Red-tailed Hawk  1     circling overhead
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Downy Woodpecker  X
Northern Flicker  X
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  X
American Crow  X
Carolina Chickadee  X
Tufted Titmouse  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
Carolina Wren  6
American Robin  X
Fox Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  3
Northern Cardinal  X
American Goldfinch  X

Rookery, Henderson, US-KY
Feb 13, 2012 1:30 PM - 1:35 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Heron Rookery, with New Bald Eagles nest
3 species

Canada Goose  25
Mallard  12
Bald Eagle  2     one on nest, 2nd soaring nearby

  Charlie
Henderson Co.