[birdky] Tree Swallows, hummers, others

  • From: Katharine Cohen <kwcoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:15:17 -0400 (EDT)

The sky over the lake this afternoon was massed with Tree Swallows--couldn't
count them, but there were dozens, perhaps a hundred or more. Yellow-rumps
appeared in the yard today, and Michael saw one White-throated Sparrow
yesterday (10/15).

We had three hummers at the feeders throughout the day today: One looked like
the imm. male Ruby-throat that has been here for several days. The second I'd
say was a female Ruby-throat. The third one was unusual. When we first saw it,
we agreed that it had a yellowish sheen on its back, and its tail seemed to
come to a point, rather than be squared-off. Unfortunately, we failed all day
to get another decent look at the bird. But, if it's around tomorrow, we'll try
again. Could be a rufous, but we're not at all certain.

Cheers,
Kathy Cohen (Panorama Shores, near Murray, Calloway Co.)
kwcoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx