[birdky] Re: Squirrel-proof bird feeders?

  • From: Doris Tichenor <dctichenor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marygbarry@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:06:39 -0500

We solved our squirrel problem by stretching a sturdy wire line between the corner of our house and a nearby standing dead tree stub. The line is about 7 feet off the ground. We hung a feeder from a hook on the line, far enough from either end so the little scoundrels can't jump on it from tree or house. They sit underneath and look wistfully up at the feeder, but apparently they are not very good at jumping straight up. They have also eyed the wire but have not dared to try to walk it, trapeze fashion.
We also have a cylindrical feeder hanging from a pole. We installed a funnel-like barrier on the pole so the squirrels could not climb it. I think we bought this item at a Wild Birds Unlimited or somewhere. The squirrels tried and tried and tried to jump on the feeder from a nearby tree branch but after days of busting their bellies when they invariably fell to the ground, they gave up.These measures ended our problems after we'd fought unsuccessful battles with the squirrels for years.

We have raccoons around the yard but so far they have contented themselves by scarfing up bits of seed on the ground.

Doris Tichenor

On Wednesday, December 2, 2009, at 07:47 PM, marygbarry@xxxxxxx wrote:

Put a raccoon baffle on a tall pole away from bushes etc that the squirrel could use as a launching pad. If have to use a feeder not on a pole, get the kind with the tube inside a cage - about 90 dollars but work very well

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: JEswindell@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:37:50 EST
To: <itsacharliebrownchristmas@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [birdky] Re: Squirrel-proof bird feeders?

You need one that is proof against raccoons as well as squirrels.  I don't think there are any!  I just regard the lost seed as "squirrel tax" and go one with it.

John Swindells
Nelson County