[birdky] Splotchy Northern Cardinals?

  • From: "Jordan Davis" <warriah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:55:42 -0500

I can't think of a better way to describe these guys that I've been seeing
the past couple of weeks.  They look like cardinals... structure, bill
shape, crest.  They seem to be a splotchy yellow and red, and there are
splotches of bright orange on the breast and vent areas.  Do cardinals ever
have a bright orange plumage?  Are they just juveniles?  I've seen one with
a black bill and one with a bright orange bill.  One (I don't remember
which) appeared to have a smaller mask than the adult male cardinal.

Oh man.  Sorry for the horrible description.  The pair of them are getting
scattered in my brain!

Thanks for any insight/help!

-Jordan
Bowling Green, KY