[birdky] Sloughs Sunday Henderson Co.

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:53:29 -0500

9/2/07 Sunday.

Shorebird habitat in Henderson Co. is virtually nonexistent. Only spot left is at Grassy Pond/Powell's Lake Unit at Honey Cypress Slough and keeps shrinking. This week we got just under an inch of rain. But everything is still bone dry.

I drove through the Sauerheber area. Water is being pumped in to some of the diked impoundments. The Shorebird Unit is dry and has been leveled/disced up.

I spent about 20 minutes at Honey Cypress Slough. Due to lack of any shorebird habitat I decided to spend the rest of the moring at Cape Hills woods. Good idea. One of the best birding days than I have had for months. Warblers are passing through.

Highlights:

Grassy Pond/Powell's Lake Unit: Honey Cypress Slough.

Great Blue Heron
Green Heron Juv.
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Solitary Sandpipers 3