[birdky] Sloughs Field Trip

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:58:41 -0700 (PDT)

The KOS/Beckham field trip to the Sloughs Wildlife
Management Area in Henderson County will be held
Sunday, October 20 as scheduled. We will meet at the
observation deck along Hwy 268 at Hardy Slough at 0800
cst. Birds targeted on this trip will be rails, marsh
sparrows and wrens, as well as waterfowl and
shorebirds.  This trip usually turns up some nice
rarities, and visitors are welcome.

Bring lunch, clothes for marshing, and a change of
pants/socks/shoes for the ride home.  This trip will
primarily be walking in damp/wet grass with water no
more than ankle deep.  An occasional ditch may be
crossed with water as deep as mid-calf.  You may stay
dry by walking on the levees if you prefer, but could
miss a few birds.

Many folks wear rubber boots or old sneakers.  I have
found that a pair of leather lace-up boots works best
for me.  I just let them dry out afterwards and oil
them.  I wear a thin pair of thermax/polypropylene
socks under a pair of cotton socks, with both pair
turned inside out.  This puts the seam away from the
skin, and virtually eliminates blisters even when
walking all day.  We will probably encounter patches
of Spanish Needles.  Shirts/pants with a tight weave
tend to be more resistant to collecting the seeds than
fuzzy clothes.

Directions are as follows:

From Henderson, take Pennyrile Pkwy south to exit 76.
From exit 76, take hwy 425 to hwy 136.  Take hwy 136
to Geneva, then turn right on hwy 268.  After a few
miles, you will see a couple of observation decks on
the left.  We will meet in the parking area at the
second observation deck.

I hope to see ya'll there,

Dave