[birdky] Sharp-shinned hawk on UK campus

  • From: Ben Albritton <benalbritton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:06:39 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday evening, 6:15 pm, I was walking along the Washington Street sidewalk
and almost to the Rose street intersection, and in a tree just off the
sidewalk, about 9 to 10 feet up, perched a hawk, which I immediately believed
to be either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-shinned hawk. (I really do not think it
was an immature of any other species).  I am not able yet to immediately
recognize the difference between these two, but the hawk was quite complacent
and was not troubled by the occasional passers-by along under him, nor by me
standing off and staring at him, so I noted that he could not have been more
than a foot tall, and that its tail was square arcoss the end, tinged by a
faint strip of white across the very end. I remembered reading in stokes that
these things seemed to be the most objective things to get a handle on.
Conclusion was for Sharp-shinned.  This was a great opportunity for me to
better learn the difference between the two--I will gladly welcome any
 comments toward the subject of their distinction and will also gladly welcome
any corrections.

  Best birding wishes,
  Ben Albritton
  Lexington, KY