[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BIRDKY'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:39:19 -0500

This was the second week in a row that we counted 47 species at Schochoh.  I
think we could have counted 50, if the weather hadn't soured today.  The
amazing thing about this list is that, though we ended with the same count,
there are 8 species here that we did not count last week.  We counted a pair
of flyover Wood Ducks and a Yellow-breasted Chat, both for only the second
time ever here.  The Yellow Warbler, Palm Warbler, Baltimore Oriole, Summer
Tanagers and Scarlet Tanagers were all FOS.  Early yesterday I saw a male
and female Summer Tanager in the same tree and then, this morning, a male
and female Scarlet Tanager in another tree nearby.  A look at a Scarlet
Tanager is always magical for me and, in the bright sun, the male was as
pretty as I've ever seen.  Late this morning, I spotted the Chat skulking
along a low branch in a spreading post oak, near the house.  It did not seem
bothered by me, so I hurried into the house to alert the others.  We were
able to get good looks from a window (what a lovely bird!).

Today, I counted 15 nests with eggs or babies on our property, including 8
Robins, 2 Mockingbirds, 2 Mourning Doves, a Thrasher, Song Sparrow and
Grackle.  The Tree Swallows are completing a nest in one box, though there
are no eggs yet.   I suspect that Bobwhites are nesting here and I've seen
Red-winged Blackbirds and Cardinals carrying nesting material, though I
don't know where those nests are.  I'm sure there are others nesting here
that I'm missing.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

Canada Goose