[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BIRDKY'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 19:58:36 -0500

43 species this weekend was our highest count since early November and our
highest March weekend count since we started keeping a record.  We counted a
FOS Chipping Sparrow, the first Bluebird in at least six weeks, the first
Harrier in around two months and a Merlin.  I saw the Merlin on Thursday
evening and then again this morning on the same oak tree snag (today is a
year-to-the-day since our first sighting ever here).  Brown Thrashers are
now singing constantly and two are busy competing for suet.  I heard a
Bluebird singing on Thursday evening and then watched a male and female
checking out one of our nest boxes yesterday.  At around the same time I saw
three male Tree Swallows around the other box.  We watched a Myrtle Warbler
sipping from the bird bath about an hour before dark today.  Five sparrows,
five woodpeckers and two falcons makes a great weekend.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

Northern Bobwhite

Canada Goose