[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 19:38:09 -0600

We counted 28 species this weekend.  It is a lean list, but it includes
Robins, which had been absent for weeks, but are here in decent numbers now
(Debby counted 29 early in the week).  The frozen ground didn't keep them
from checking out the yard.  A few Red-winged Blackbirds are back and
scouting things out and we counted C. Grackles for only the second time
since August.  The covey of Bobwhites is apparently down to 9 birds now,
from >13 in November.  I suspect that is not an unusual attrition rate and
may actually be pretty good, considering the bitter cold and the abundance
of local creatures of that might find them tasty.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

American Goldfinch

American Kestrel