[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:47:33 -0500

The great weekend counts continue here at Schochoh, with 47 species this
week; our highest count since the weekend of May 10.  We added a new house
species with the N. Rough-winged Swallow sighting this morning, which takes
our list to 121 (I posted photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/10386518336/in/photostream/).
They were preening on the wire near a group of Tree Swallows.  We've brief
swallow flyovers recently, but this is the first that we've identified any
in many weeks.  I often noticed swallows in the air today, when scanning for
hawks.  Other highlights included a Hairy Woodpecker, for at least the third
consecutive week, a FOS Tennessee, one of four warbler species for the
weekend (I'd thought we missed Tennessee Warblers this fall), FOS Savannah
Sparrow and an Eastern Towhee, which we only see in migration and not every
year.  The big highlight was a Merlin, only the second that we've ever
counted here.  It was perched high in a dead oak tree, across the road,
where I often see a Kestrel.  I posted some lousy digiscoped photos of it at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/10386677103/.  Our Indigo Buntings
are finally gone.
Stephen Tyson, Adairville (Schochoh), Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

American Crow

American Kestrel

American Robin

Black Vulture

Blue Jay

Brown Thrasher

Brown-headed Cowbird

Carolina Chickadee

Carolina Wren

Chipping Sparrow

Common Yellowthroat

Cooper's Hawk

Downy Woodpecker

Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Meadowlark

Eastern Towhee

Eurasian Collared-Dove

European Starling

Field Sparrow

Great Horned Owl

Hairy Woodpecker

House Finch

House Sparrow

Killdeer

Loggerhead Shrike

Merlin

Mourning Dove

Myrtle Warbler

Northern Cardinal

Northern Flicker

Northern Harrier

Northern Mockingbird

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Palm Warbler

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-winged Blackbird

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

Tennessee Warbler

Tree Swallow

Tufted Titmouse

Turkey Vulture

White-breasted Nuthatch

White-crowned Sparrow

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm