[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 19:05:26 -0500

It has been two weeks since I submitted a weekend list and it is clear that
the migration bulge has passed since then.  We counted only 33 species this
weekend.  A female Ruby-throated Hummingbird flew within a few feet of me
(late this afternoon) to visit the feeder and our resident family of Indigo
Buntings are still here, though I'm expecting both species to be gone any
day.  It is starting to seem more like fall, with Harriers tilting over the
ready-to-harvest soybeans in the back field, a Loggerhead Shrike hanging
around and flocks of Blue Jays, which are scarce here in the summer, passing
over.  One flock of Jays had at least 25 birds.  It was a good weekend for
raptors and especially woodpeckers, which, with a fairly unusual Hairy,
included five species.  The Red-headeds, which had been noisy and
conspicuous during September, were here but not noisy and not conspicuous
this weekend.  The only other unusual find was a Belted Kingfisher flyover
this morning, which is probably a once-per-year sighting here.
Stephen Tyson, Adairville (Schochoh), Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

American Goldfinch

American Kestrel

American Robin

Belted Kingfisher

Blue Jay

Brown-headed Cowbird

Carolina Chickadee

Chipping Sparrow

Common Yellowthroat

Cooper's Hawk

Downy Woodpecker

Eastern Bluebird

Eurasian Collared-Dove

European Starling

Hairy Woodpecker

House Finch

House Sparrow

Indigo Bunting

Loggerhead Shrike

Mourning Dove

Northern Cardinal

Northern Flicker

Northern Harrier

Northern Mockingbird

Palm Warbler

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Red-headed Woodpecker

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-winged Blackbird

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Tufted Titmouse

Turkey Vulture

White-breasted Nuthatch

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm