[birdky] Sandhill Cranes/Cecilia

  • From: ppkdrn@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:29:40 -0500

Eric and I drove out to Cecilia area today.  There is still a lot of snow cover
in the fields ( no snow buntings spotted).  We went down Bethlehem Academy road
all the way to 1357 and didn't see any although this is where we saw hundreds
last year.  We went a few miles down 1357 but then doubled back to Crisp Road.
Almost immediately on the right I saw the first flock, 150+ around the banks of
a small pond.  This is the same pond where we spotted the Whooping Crane last
year but if she is with them this year, I couldn't see her.  With all the snow
cover and the distance, she would not have been as prominent this year as last.

We continues on down Crisp Road in the direction of Bethlehem Academy Road and
saw another flock of 150+ and on the opposite side of the road, 3 loners!

It was a nice day for a drive.  I wasn't looking for anything else and
therefore did not see anything else except a crowd of about 300 starlings.

Paula Geihs
Nelson County