[birdky] Rpt: Snowy Owl

  • From: de_lang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Freelists, BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:36:01 +0000

We were headed up to Muscatatuck NWR for an outing with the Audubon Society of KY, and spotted an immature Snowy Owl on the way up. This bird was not in KY, but we found it only 16 miles north of Louisville. It was sitting on a lamp post on the east side of north bound I-65 at the end of the on ramp to the north bound lane at exit 16. It stayed put long enough to put the scope on it and even to get a photo, all be it a fuzzy one. I did not expect to see one this far south or this early in the season. The Indiana list server may have more information on this sighting. We were not the only ones on the side of the road with a scope out.

David Lang
Scott County