[birdky] Re: Request info on Swainson's Warbler locations in NE KY

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: <lbodker@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Greg" <lbodker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 12:32:39 -0400

Having just been to the Red River Gorge of Powell and Wolfe counties in eastern
Kentucky in search of Swainson's Warblers eariler this week, I have to say that
I was quite disappointed in what I experienced. A very "getable" bird has been
on one trail for nearly 10 years now, but that territory has moved WAY back up
into a hollow and the bird was barely audible from the trail. A pair of birds
on another trail that used to be good for them was SO upset at the presence of
humans, and acted SO oddly when the first taped song of SWWA was played, I feel
certain that it has been taped to death. I got a GREAT look at one of the birds
I heard earlier this week by simply being aware of their song and call notes,
and patiently waiting for a bird to come into view.

With these experiences so fresh in my mind, I hesitate to widely disseminate
information on the whereabouts of Swainson's Warblers in the Gorge area. I
implore birders visiting the Red River Gorge vicinity to get Swainson's
Warblers to PLEASE be patient and try to passively observe birds there. The
Gorge is a beautiful place, and I don't doubt that anyone taking the time to
take an extensive hike in the area will go without hearing a Swainson's Warbler
given a half day to day of being there during decent weather conditions. I have
found the birds to be persistent singers, both throughout the day and well into
July.

bpb, Louisville