[birdky] Reclaimed Strip Mine Short Eared Owls and Harriers

  • From: "Preston Forsythe" <pns_for@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 09:21:10 -0600

In Muhlenberg Co., at Sinclair WMA, vicinity of the S-2 high spot and two
miles west of the TVA cooling towers, the numbers of short eared owls and
harriers have increased. Starting at 5:10 pm we saw our first owl. Harriers
were already present. For the late afternoon we saw 6 of each. One owl flew
within 80 ft. and we could see the gold patches in the evening light. Pair
bonding with the owls and also with the harriers is taking place, as also
with the red shoulder hawks we observed earlier in the day at Central City.
I the short eared kee-ow call can be heard some distance away. The Jan.-Feb.
2012 issue of Bird Watcher's Digest has an interesting article on short
eared owls.

Shari and Preston Forsythe, Outer Browder, KY