[birdky] Recent Observations

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 17:27:01 -0800 (PST)

Feb 27

Arrived at Skipper's River Cafe on the Ohio River at
daylight in search of the Harlequin Duck which was
missed.  Larry Peavler and I did enjoy a fly-by flock
of 9 Common Mergansers including 8 males which was a
beautiful sight.  I drove up the river on the Ohio
side and scoped the raft of ducks above Meldahl Dam
which included Gadwall, Wigeon, Black, Mallard,
Pintail, GW Teal, Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked,
Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, 1 male Common Merganser,
Red-breasted Merganser, Hooded Merganser, Ruddy Duck,
Horned and Pied-billed Grebes.

Feb 29
WARREN COUNTY
Gr. White-fronted Goose (15 in a field along hwy 884)
Snow Goose (5 at Petros Pond)
Lesser Yellowlegs (Chaney)

BARREN
Common Merganser (male near Bailey's Campground)
Red-breasted Merganser (2 Skagg's Creek)

Red-tailed Hawk (adult dark-morph calurus near
Bailey's Point in Allen County.  I've seen this bird
on and off in that area for several years but I don't
believe it overwinters there.  I believe it stages
there for a short time during fall and spring
migration.)

March 1
PEABODY WMA/ OHIO AND MUHLENBERG COUNTIES

Hap Chambers, Roseanna Denton, and Robert Dever and I
enjoyed a beautiful day on the mines with the
following highlights:

At least 13 species of waterfowl including a pair of
Wood Ducks and a Blue-winged Teal in Ohio County.  We
were treated to the sight and sounds of a flock of
approximately 70 Redheads and 1 Ring-necked Duck
dropping from the sky at South Lake to take a rest
from their journey.  The roar of air through the wings
of a flock of waterfowl descending from the heavens on
a quiet day is an experience that I always treasure.

Great Blue Herons attending nests on Sinclair.

Raptors included 2 light and one dark Rough-legged
Hawks in Ohio County and a dark roughleg on Sinclair.
Interesting redtails included a juvenile light-morph
calurus type on Homestead and an adult dark type
calurus on Sinclair.  A Great-horned Owl was sitting
on a nest on Sinclair.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.