[birdky] RPT:Southcentral and Eastern Jefferson Co. 05/19-20; a few migrants and breeders

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 22:32:24 -0400

I haven't had too much time to bird lately, but have had a little luck in my
backyard and drove around the backside UPS property today on Crittenden and saw
a few things.  En route other than those observations I had a possible Green
Heron but only saw a silhouette flying away from me for a brief second and then
lost it behind treeline.  A pale adult Red-shouldered Hawk was perched on a
'for lease' sign on Fern Valley Road.  On Crittenden I was entertained by the
sounds of Indigo Bunting, Common Yellowthroat, Gray Catbird and a White-eyed
Vireo scolding a robin, and an Eastern Kingbird spotted while at a light on
Nevada to round out the day.

Location: Ferndale Road-my backyard
Observation date: 5/19/11
Number of species: 38

Rock Pigeon 2 probably not wild hang out on neighbor's antenna a lot
Mourning Dove 15
Chimney Swift 12
Downy Woodpecker 1
Least Flycatcher 2 whitting constantly fortunately
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Blue-headed Vireo 1 FOS
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 6
American Crow 2
Barn Swallow 1
Carolina Chickadee 6
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 1
House Wren 1
Swainson's Thrush 4 eluded me for an hour and then suddenly appeared in
fruiting trees
American Robin 18
Gray Catbird 1
Brown Thrasher 2
European Starling 24
Cedar Waxwing 45
Magnolia Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 1
Blackburnian Warbler 1 FOS- beautiful male, singing all variations of song
American Redstart 1 female
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's Warbler 1 FOS
Eastern Towhee 2
Song Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 8
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Indigo Bunting 2
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Common Grackle 35
Brown-headed Cowbird 4
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 8
House Sparrow 12

Location: Standiford Field- bridge crossing on Crittenden Drive
Observation date: 5/20/11
Number of species: 17

Mallard 3
Turkey Vulture 2
Mourning Dove 10
Chimney Swift 8
Belted Kingfisher 1
Willow Flycatcher 1 Fitz-bew was a constant exclamation while I was there
though the bird was never seen-FOS
Warbling Vireo 1 singing in a low tree 25 feet from me
Barn Swallow 45
American Robin 6
European Starling 8
Yellow Warbler 2 seem to be hearing more than I did at this location than last
year-heard all the way up and down Crittenden while driving
Song Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 6
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Common Grackle 12
Orchard Oriole 3 chasing constantly
American Goldfinch 4

Location: Ferndale Road-my backyard
Observation date: 5/20/11
Notes: had a tail-wagger up in the canopy with plain yellow underparts in bad
light, guessing Nashville, it wasn't profuse tail wagging
Number of species: 28

Killdeer 1 a lot of nice flyovers today
Rock Pigeon 1
Mourning Dove 22
Common Nighthawk 1
Chimney Swift 10
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Blue Jay 2
Purple Martin 1 nice random flyover
Carolina Chickadee 8
Tufted Titmouse 4
Carolina Wren 1
Swainson's Thrush 1
American Robin 18
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 24
Cedar Waxwing 12
Magnolia Warbler 1
Blackpoll Warbler 1 might be my first for the yard
Eastern Towhee 1
Song Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 6
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Common Grackle 16
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
American Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 12

I hope to get out a little this weekend, but a friend of mine wants to go to
Indiana, so Kentucky birding may be limited.

Good Birding,
Michael Autin Louisville, KY