[birdky] RPT:Falls of the Ohio Monday, Dec. 8, scouting at Seneca Park for CBC;chipping sparrows

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:07:50 -0500

I went to the Falls of the Ohio on Monday evening and spent this morning and
evening scouting for the Louisville CBC around Bowman Field.  On Monday I met a
birder from Great Britain on business, and as he had very limited time and
transportation I directed him to Cave Hill.  I hope he succeeded.

Falls of the Ohio to Big Four Bridge and Holiday Inn ponds Monday Dec. 8,
2:20-5:00pm
Gadwall-100+
American Widgeon-15+
American black Duck-1 pair at Holiday Inn
Northern Shoveler-20+
Green-wg. Teal-10
Canvasback-1 male Holiday Inn
Ring-nk. Duck-2 HI
Lesser Scaup-6 HI
Bufflehead-HI
Hooded Merganser-28 scattered
Ruddy Duck-57! below Big Four bridge
Common Loon-2 one 30 ft. offshore at dock by Big Four bridge
Pied-bl. Grebe-20
Horned Grebe-25+
Bald Eagle-2 1 1st year and a 2nd yr bird I believe
Accipter- small suggesting Sharp-sh. Hawk
American Kestrel-1
peregrine Falcon-1
Bonaparte's Gull-80+20
Herring Gull-5 all imm.
Swamp Sp.-1

Seneca Park- scouting for CBC, 7:50-9:40am and 3:00-5:30pm, 30 sp.,my fourth
species was a flock of chipping sparrows, my final bird of the day was a
mallard, my 2nd to last was a Downy, weird

Canada Goose-20+ on field in front of driving course on Bowman Field
Am. Kestrel-1 on Bowman
Killdeer-2 Bowman 1 driving course
Belted Kingfisher-1
Yellow-bl. Sapsucker-1 in pine tree behind law enforcement office by driving
course, 1 across from golf course
Brown Creeper-2
Cedar Waxwing-35+
eastern Towhee-1
Chipping Sparrow-25+mixed with a dozen juncos on path leading onto golf course
across from golf center
Common Grackle-1 overhead good for this time of year

CBC is coming, get out and scout your territories!  Should be a good year for
lingering summer residents.
Michael Autin
 Louisville, KY