[birdky] RPT: a little late 10/17-18,22-Louisville; Virginia Rail and others

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 02:03:38 -0400

I spent a fair amount of last Saturday birding around Southcentral Louisville
and saw a pretty good group of birds.  The first location I stopped at was
somewhere I had never been before, and area of fenced brush just South of the
Papa John's Cardinal Stadium parking lot.  I turned down Dakota Lane, where I
and a friend proceeded from one spot on the road to witness a good number of
birds before cops finally told us to leave a little over an hour later.  Now
mind you I spent most of the time in a car "blind" only leaving for fifteen
minutes to look over the fence to get a better view of the action which was
fifteen feet from the car.  The Virginia Rail was kicked up from a location
that is not really open to the public but hopefully I will be able to figure if
it ever will at some later date.  Anyway the list:

Dakota Lane, South of the stadium parking lot 9:45-11:00am

Red-sh. Hawk-1 imm.

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Red-bl. Wood.

Yellow-bl. Sapsucker- young male repeatedly landing confusedly on telephone
poles out in an otherwise open landscape

No. Flicker

Eastern Phoebe-2

Blue Jay

American Crow

Carolina Wren

Ruby-cr. Kinglet

Golden-cr. Kinglet

Hermit Thrush-1 first one I've really seen this season

Am. Robin

Gray Catbird-1

No. Mockingbird

Euro. Star.

Am. Pipit-flyover

Nashville W.-1

Yellow-rp. W.-3

Black-thr. Green W.-1 imm.

Palm W.-8 or more

East. Towhee-1

Chipping Sp.-1

Field Sp.-2

Savannah Sp.-1

Song Sp.

Swamp Sp.-6

White-thr. Sp.-3

White-cr. Sp.-2 imm.

No. Cardinal

Eastern Meadowlark-1

Brown-hd. Cowbird- seen up the road behind Budget rent-a-car

House Finch

Amer. Goldfinch- a lot of birds for what amounts to an abandoned lot!

Private Property off National Turnpike-11:15-12:15pm

Mallard

Green-wg. Teal-1 fem.

Turkey Vulture

Virginia Rail-1 flushed and then refound sitting frozen did not flush again
just glad to know it was there

Killdeer

Mo. Dove

Blue Jay

No. Mockingbird

Palm W.-2

Song Sp.

Swamp Sp.-6 or so low number

grassy lot on National Turnpike- huge and wet but wind kept birds
down-12:20-1:20pm

Mo. Dove

Blue Jay

Am. Robin

No. Mockingbird

Palm W.-1

Com. Yellowthroat-1

Song Sp.

Swamp Sp.-8 maybe

No. cardinal

Bobolink-1 flushed twice

Am. Goldfinch- wheeling around in large flocks

Wetlands and abandoned lots around Zibb Lane and Minors lane Heights 1:20-5:30pm

Canada Goose-60 or more with young

Mallard

Green-wg. Teal-1 fem.

Pied-bl. Grebe-1

Gr. Blue Heron-1

Great Egret-1

T. V.

Red-tl. Hawk-3

American Kestrel-2-3

American Coot-2

Killdeer

Lesser Yellowlegs-1

Mo. Dove

Chimney Swift-1

Belted King.-2 chasing each other

Red-bl. Wood.

No. Flicker

Blue Jay

Tree Swallow-1

Sedge Wren-poss. only seen in flight no call given but quick impression seemed
right

Marsh Wren-2

Ruby-cr. Kinglet-1

East. Bluebird-2

Am. Robin

Cedar Waxwing-9

Yellow-rp. W.

Palm W.-4

Com. Yellowthroat-1

Vesper Sp.-1

Savannah Sp.-1

Song Sp.

Lincoln's Sp.-1

Swamp Sp.-30+

White-cr. Sp.-2

No. Cardinal

Red-wg. Blackbird-5

Eastern Meadowlark-1

House Finch

Am. Goldfinch

Cedar Grove Park, Shepherdsville, 10/18- Since I had to work, I met Barbara
Woerner out post-Beckham Bird club trip to see what we could find... not a lot.

additions that were not seen on field trip?

Black Vulture-2

Solitary Sandpiper-1 across from Zappos parking lot

and then we spent from 4:00-6:00pm? at Zibb Lane off Minors Lane South in
Louisville, highlights:

Wilson's Snipe- 2 flew over at dusk looking for them all day they finally found
us, first I've seen in Louisville this Fall, anyone else experienced a paucity
of these guys?

pro. Sedge Wren-1 same place as day before but with call note that seem to be
definitive but I don't hear them often enough to be sure

Marsh Wren-2

Gray Catbird-1

Nashville W.-1

Palm W.-6

Com. Yellowthroat-1

Lincoln's Sparrow-1 possibly the longest, best study save for having to shield
my eyes with one hand while steadying binos with other

Today, Thursday 10/22 I went to the nature center this morning and again in the
afternoon with limited results but not bad.

Cooper's Hawk-1 visiting the blind upon seeing all the activity

Hairy Wood.-1 heard in evening

Eastern Phoebe-1 morning

Winter Wren- 1 heard in fading light

both kinglets

Gray Catbird-1 young bird in fading light

Cedar Waxwing- group of 25 or so biggest I've seen recently

Tennessee W.- 1 first I've seen for awhile for some reason usually abundant at
this time of year

Nashville W.-1

Black-thr. Green W.-1 imm.

East. Towhee

Chipping Sp.- believe I heard some in fading light

Field Sp.-3

Red-wg. Blackbird-1 flyover

on 10/21 I witnessed a dead Hermit Thrush on the side walk of a Mexican
taqueria off Preston Highway in front of Big Lots and the Unique Thrift store.

side notes; The reason I posted every bird I saw on Saturday was more because
of what I didn't see, like chickadee or House Sparrow.

Secondly, I have experienced this once and my friend has had it happen to her
several times now; upon entering the bird blind with a host of school children,
a nature center employee asked us to leave.  Today this did not happen, and I
think I was able to help out with a few questions that the guide had but near
as I can tell every time I go there, a group if not several groups of children
come to the blind.  This leads me to wonder what can be done in the future to
find a solution that will prevent people who support the center from getting
ousted from a relaxing morning's viewing.  If anyone wants to give feedback on
this subject, please post offlist as this may not be an appropriate thread for
birdky.  Thank you.

Good Birding,
Michael Autin

 Louisville, KY

Windows 7: I wanted more reliable, now it's more reliable. Wow!
http://microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default-ga.aspx?h=myidea?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_myidea:102009