[birdky] RPT: Rufous Hummingbird in Crittenden County and Ky Dam area ... 12/12/2009

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:35:39 -0500

Mark Monroe, Eddie Huber, and myself visited rural Crittenden County north of
Eddyville this morning to band an immature female Rufous Hummingbird that was
just recently reported but that has been present since Ruby-throateds were
around in October. If anyone is interested in seeing this bird, feel free to
email me for contact information. My understanding is that the adult male
Rufous continues at Elizabethtown.

We spent most of the afternoon attempting to scan Kentucky Lake for
waterbirds.However, the "new reality" at Kentucky Dam is quite frustrating ...
the new US 62 bridge is open across the Tennessee River so the only place to
view the north end of the lakes is the peninsula area of Ky Dam Village ...
have we stood on the Ky Dam pullouts for the last time ? ? ? I will be
following up with some earlier conversations with TVA to see if KOS mght be
able to convince them to leave at least one accessible to vehicular traffic,
but it's going to be an uphill battle, I'm afraid.

We did see a very spritely adult male Long-tailed Duck (from there) among many
hundreds of Common Goldeneye, Lesser Scaup, and Buffleheads, with a few other
things mixed in. There are plenty of Horned Grebes to go around (probably 750+
seen from various points) and I guess we probably looked at 40-45 or more
Common Loons. One Forster's Tern was the only other unusual thing we could
find. A nice flock of westbound Sandhill Cranes (98) passed north of Barkley
Dam.

bpb et al., Louisville