[birdky] RPT: Rufous Hummingbird banded at Louisville

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard \(EPPC OOS KNPC\)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:22:52 -0500

Wednesday afternoon, Mark Monroe and I banded the previously reported
Selasphorus hummingbird at Louisville. It is an adult female Rufous
Hummingbird. The bird is coming to the yard of Mary Cleary, 2233
Hawthorne Ave. Visitors are welcome but you should call ahead:
502/456-6960. Directions to the bird from I-264 (Watterson Expressway)
and Bardstown Road (US31E) on the southeast side of Louisville are: go
north about 1/2 mile on Bardstown Road to the large, green-steepled
church (Strathmoor Presbyterian Church) on the right. Take a right onto
Hawthorne just before the church, but instead of proceeding down to 2233
on the left, take a left into the back side of the church parking lot
and enter the alley that leaves its far back corner (this will take you
down along the back yards of the homes on the left (north) side of
Hawthorne). You will notice Mary's yard on the right (maybe the 6th or
8th near an old light green pickup truck on the left) because of all the
feeders, including some hummer feeders. The bird is visiting any one of
three feeders (one near the alley, two up near the house). Find a place
to park out of the way of passing traffic along the shoulder of the
alley.

bpb, Frankfort