[birdky] RPT: Red-necked phalarope at Mayfair basin in Louisville

  • From: "Ben Yandell" <by@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:34:11 -0400

I'm running late, so this will be brief.  Mary and I had what we believe to
be a red-necked phalarope, which we observed from around 1:30-3:00 pm today.
Matt Stickel saw the bird and agrees, and Jane and Pat Bell were arriving as
we rushed off.  The bird is a juvenile and swam the entire time we observed
it.  It stayed in or near the edge of the grass on the west end of the
basin.

Mayfair Avenue is a "no outlet" street off River Road, west of Hays Kennedy
Park.  The basin is a fenced, raised area with a lot of open water, several
ducks, yellowlegs, etc.

Maybe others can post better directions.

Ben and Mary Yandell
Louisville