[birdky] RPT: Ravens-Paintsville Lake

  • From: "scott freidhof" <scottf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:05:41 -0400

May 17, 2005:  A friend and I paddled out to see the raven nest site on
Paintsville Lake this morning (Morgan County).  We observed 2 stick
nests on the cliff face, spaced about 200 yards apart.  Not sure if both
nests were active raven nests this spring, but a significant amount of
whitewash was present on the rocks at each nest.  Any young had fledged.
We observed 3 ravens.  The first flew along the top of the ridge and
disappeared behind it.  A second was perched in a tree against the cliff
face where the first nest was located.  The third and most active raven
flew over and landed inside the second nest at one point.  This bird
flew back and forth between a fallen tree that was hanging out over the
edge of the cliff line and a particular rock crevice on the cliff face.
We could not see into the rock crevice.  The birds were fairly vocal.
The raven's call definitely reminds me of wilderness.  My thoughts of
wilderness quickly faded when boat traffic picked up around 10:30 am.
Fortunately the ravens complete nesting prior to the busy summer boat
season.

Some other interesting birds included an osprey, spotted sandpiper, and
numerous rough-winged swallows along the cliff lines.

Scott Freidhof

scottf@xxxxxxxxxxxx