[birdky] RPT: Misc weekend observations

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard \(EPPC OOS KNPC\)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:11:00 -0500

Friday and Saturday we completed harvesting Indian grass seed on the
family farm in Jefferson County. The only unusual birds I could ID were
Sedge Wrens ... at least 4 on Friday and 3 on Saturday. These were
likely lingering breeding birds. I wonder if they would have wintered if
we had not harvested the grass (the stubble is still there, but we
altered the structure immensely!). There were many sparrows still
present, but Savannahs and one Vesper were the oddest of the lot.

On Saturday morning, the Bells, Hubers and myself spent a couple of
hours at Garvin Brown Preserve. There were MANY fewer birds there than
last Sunday (October 29th) with the only notable observation being a
bright Nashville Warbler. I forgot to post from the previous week a
female Purple Finch that was the first of the season for all of us.

On Saturday morning I also heard my first Red-breasted Nuthatch of the
season. It doesn't seem like many have arrived this fall.

Yesterday in Frankfort, Amy and I had five Eurasian Collared-Doves
loafing in a tree in the yard; we didn't see any eating seed with the
juncos and White-throats, but I wonder if they have noticed the activity
of the other birds and I am sort of hoping we might get them regularly
at the seed this winter.

bpb, Frankfort