[birdky] RPT: McLean/Hopkins counties shorebirds, May 23-24th

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 23:07:00 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

 body{font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,sans-serif;background-color:#f=
fffff;color:black;}p{margin:0px;} Eddie Huber and I had 20 species of
shorebirds on Monday and 18 yeste= rday in northern McLean and northwestern
Hopkins counties. Two-day high cou= nts from the large flock at the KY 85
crossing of Cypress Creek west of But= tonsberry follow:
Black-bellied Plover =E2=80=93 at least 40 both da= ys
American Golden-Plover =E2=80=93 1 both days
Semipalmated Plover = =E2=80=93 750+ on 23rd; 800-1000 on 24th (very
difficult to count; estimate= d thru extrapolation)
Killdeer =E2=80=93 10+ both days
Black-necked S= tilt =E2=80=93 2 on 24th
Greater Yellowlegs =E2=80=93 1 flyover on 23rdLesser Yellowlegs =E2=80=93
20+on 23rd; 25+ on 24th
Ruddy Turnstone = =E2=80=93 6 and 8
Sanderling =E2=80=93 3 and 10+
Semipalmated Sandpip= er =E2=80=93 2000-2500 and 2400-2600 (estimated thru
extrapolation)
Leas= t Sandpiper =E2=80=93 30+ and 25+ (probably more, but these confirmed
by si= ght)
White-rumped Sandpiper =E2=80=93 50+ both days (probably more, thes= e again
confirmed by sight)
Pectoral Sandpiper =E2=80=93 20+ and 12+
= Dunlin =E2=80=93 700+ and 800+ (this was the species I used for basis of
es= timates of Semi Plovers and Semi Sands; was able to roughly count the
Dunli= n because they stood out more, although I don=E2=80=99t doubt there
were pr= obably more than 1000 present)
Stilt Sandpiper =E2=80=93 at least 20 bot= h days
Buff-breasted Sandpiper =E2=80=93 1 on 23rd; super-surprisingly T= WO on
24th(first confirmed KY spring record)
Short-billed Dowitcher =E2= =80=93 1 bird seen in same spot both days; heard
calling on 24th
Red-nec= ked Phalarope =E2=80=93 1 female both days

Relatively few shorebirds= were found at other spots on Monday, but we did
see a Solitary Sandpiper a= nd 10+ Spotted Sandpipers for 19 species; the
20th was a totally random Upl= and Sandpiper that landed briefly on some
mudflats along KY 281 in Hopkins = County. We missed Black-necked Stilt on
Monday, but on Tuesday we found 13 = along KY 81 south of Rumsey with 12
birds paired. They are wanting to initi= ate nesting, but the daily change
inwater level is likely causing them to = hold off.

The =E2=80=9Cmega-flock=E2=80=9D of birds was unlike anyth= ing I have ever
seen in Kentucky. We suspect the birds had been building fo= r several days.
When we visited the site last Friday, we might have come ac= ross the
initialstages of the convention if we had approached from the eas= t, but
from the Cypress Creek bridge all we could see was water. This group= was
like an entire community with flocks trading back and forth between th= e
main loafing area on the north side of KY 85 to favored feeding areas on =
the south side of the road. While the birds were feeding on Monday morning,=
there was a constant din of bickering with singing Dunlins audible several=
times each minute. On both Monday morning and Tuesday afternoon, Black-bel=
lied Plovers were also singing. Previously, I have only heard such a shoreb=
ird concert at Barrow and Gambell, Alaska. During Tuesday mid-day, a vast m=
ajority of birds were full and loafing; that is when I was able to count a =
bare minimum of 4200 birds by 10s. We returned later in the afternoon and a=
bout =C2=BD to 3/4ths of the birds were back out feeding again. It was abou=
t 500 pm when the Peregrine arrived and within five minutes, you couldn=E2=
=80=99t find a single bird on the flats except for the most obvious two sho=
rebirds in the area, the pair of Black-necked Stilts. The Peregrine was eit=
her unlucky or incompetent, and it took FAR too long to secure a meal, ling=
ering in the area for well over an hour. Those who have watched Peregrines =
on the prowl are no stranger to spine tingling chases and acrobatics. This =
bird gave us quite a show as it singled out one small bird, probably a Semi=
Sand, and gave a spiral chase high up into the air. When the Semi finally =
decided to attempt to go back down, the falcon took several vertical dives =
at it. I=E2=80=99m incapable of describing in how stunningly dramatic fashi=
on the pursuit unfolded, but Eddie and Jamie Baker were there to also witne=
ss one of the most remarkable dramas one can experience in the wild.
Shorebirds have not been the only waterbirds of interest in the area. Both=
days we saw Black Terns and a single Forster=E2=80=99s Tern. Waders showed=
up in numbers this week with up to at least 50 Little Blue Herons, 4 Snowy=
Egrets, 12 Great Egrets, and a Black-crowned Night-Heron; also many Cattle=
Egrets continue. Yesterday afternoon I heard a Least Tern calling right as=
the Peregrine arrived on the scene, but I never saw it. There was also a C=
ommon Gallinule in the company of an American Coot on the south side of the=
highway working a grassy edge. Small numbers of Northern Shovelers and Blu=
e-winged Teal were also scattered about.

I told Eddie on our way hom= e last night that the =E2=80=9CKY 85 west of
Buttonsberry=E2=80=9D spot (ju= st have to call it that!) might never again
hold shorebirds in any numbers.= The exceptional conditions this past month
may have produced a once in a l= ifetime opportunity there. We noted that
hadMelissa Gaither not reported t= he Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks we would
never have even visited the area!=

bpb