[birdky] RPT: LBL hummer festival and Morgan Pond

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:07:00 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Mark Monroe, Eddie Huber, Hap Chambers, and myself participated in the Land
Between the Lakes Hummingbird Festival this past weekend. We captured 107
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, put on 104 new bands, and had 3 recaptures. All 3
recaps were from last year's LBL hummer festival, when 37 birds were banded.
Three of 37 is a pretty darned good return rate!

On our way down and back, Mark, Eddie, & myself checked on Morgan Pond in
southern Christian County. Somewhere around 1000+ shorebirds were there on
Thursday highlighted by 3 Upland Sandpipers and an adult Baird's Sandpiper.
More than 300 Pectorals and probably 2x that on Killdeer were the commonest.
Three families of Black-necked Stilts continue on area ponds.

Yesterday we did a little better job counting and came up with about 1450
birds, again mostly Pectorals and Killdeer. Numbers on other species were
generally down, although 3 Buff-breasted Sandpipers were a new addition and
there were a couple of Black Terns.

During the weekend we visited a few other sites in west KY but didn't find a
whole lot. Probably the best was a juvenile Laughing Gull below Smithland Dam
on the Ohio River and a calling Sedge Wren in the thick grasses on the west end
of Honker Lake in LBL. While crossing the US 68/KY 80 bridge over Kentucky Lake
on Saturday morning, we counted TWELVE Osprey coursing around in the sky at one
time; on the return trip that evening there were ELEVEN!

bpb, ebh, msm, Louisville