[birdky] RPT: Freeman Lake, Cecilia area

  • From: "Andrew Melnykovych" <estiles74@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 16:05:45 -0500

Spent about 5 hours in E'town/Cecilia today, mostly to look for sandhills,
which were plentiful, but found some other nice birds

Freeman Lake:

Horned grebe - 2

Pied-billed grebe - 5

Great blue heron - x

Canada goose - x

Mallard - x

Ring-necked duck - ~6

Lesser scaup - 2

Hooded merganser - 4

Ring-billed gull - 3

Coot - many, mostly on upper end

Killdeer - 2

Non-water birds included below w/Cecilia report

Started seeing sandhills in Cecilia itself. Probably saw several thousand in
all, mostly along 82 west of Cecilia and then south along 1375 and
Stephensburg Road. Smaller number on Black Branch Road SW of Cecilia and 253
north

Other birds along route:

Pied-billed grebe

Great blue heron

Canada goose

Cackling goose - about 6 or 8 on farm pond off 1375

Mallard - x

Green-winged teal - pair in Stephensburg

Hooded merganser - pair on farm pond off Black Branch Rd.

Coot

Killdeer

Turkey vulture

Black vulture

Red-tailed hawk - many

Red-shouldered hawk - off I-65 at Brooks in Bullitt County

Kestrel - at least 20

Mourning dove

Belted kingfisher

Common flicker

Pileated woodpecker - flying across I-65 at Lebanon Junction

Red-bellied woodpecker

Downy woodpecker

Eastern phoebe

Blue jay

Common crow

Carolina chickadee

Tufted titmouse

Carolina wren

Mockingbird

Robin

Eastern bluebird

Yellow-rumped warbler - many in Stephensburg

Eastern meadowlark

Red-winged blackbird - lots of singing

Common grackle

American goldfinch

Cardinal

Song sparrow

Surprisingly sparse on sparrows; no juncos or towhees, either

On the other, had all three usual regretables:

Rock pigeon

European starling

House sparrow

44 species total