[birdky] RPT: Birding in Southeastern Jefferson Co. 02/11-Wilson's Snipe and American Pipit

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:21:26 -0500

I birded an area at dusk today between Taylorsville Road and Billtown Road in
the Floyd's Fork bottomlands, and it was a neat area with decent birding for
dusk.  I was hoping to find cranes in this area but alas.  Results:
Location:     floyd's fork bottomlands Southeast Jefferson Co.
Observation date:     2/11/10
Number of species:     22

Canada Goose     220
Wild Turkey     X     not seen by me, numbers not reported
Great Blue Heron     1     on lake with other goodies in Crystal Springs Valley
development?
Cooper's Hawk     1
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Killdeer     3     lake
Wilson's Snipe     1     lake
Mourning Dove     15
Downy Woodpecker     1
American Crow     1
Carolina Wren     1
Eastern Bluebird     1
American Robin     25
Northern Mockingbird     3
European Starling     45
American Pipit     1     lake
Yellow-rumped Warbler     1
Song Sparrow     6
White-throated Sparrow     3
Dark-eyed Junco     1
Northern Cardinal     12
House Finch     2

I also went by Old Henry Road and was told by my birding partner that there
were ducks on the quarry as we were getting off the highway, so I pulled over
and not a bad little group.

American Coot-20+
Ring-nk. Duck-30+
Redhead-4 or so
Canvasback-1
Gadwall- a pair
I even saw a kingfisher which has been kind of rare lately on a wire over a
creek bed near Gene Snyder on Bardstown Road.
no mallard or several other common birds funny

Good Birding,
Michael Autin
 Louisville, KY

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/