[birdky] Phenomenal Saw-whet Owl recapture

  • From: Mark Monroe <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:14:44 -0400

Saw-whet owl banding has commenced again at Brainard's farm but it's been a
very slow start, with only one bird captured on October 18 (although this
was a personal early date).  However, this year has yielded some very
interesting recaptures.  I just learned that last night one of the birds we
banded on November 2, 2007 here in Louisville was recaptured in Lincoln,
Massachusetts, just NE of Boston!  That's a phenomenal amount of wandering
in this bird's lifetime no matter how you look at it.  Additionally, a bird
originally banded in Bloomington, Indiana, only one day earlier than ours,
was just recaptured in Delta Marsh, Manitoba, a week ago.  The nomadic
nature of this species is truly incredible and it seems the more we learn
about their movements, the more questions we get.

Mark

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY