[birdky] NEW BIRD QUIZ ...

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:19:05 -0500

Mid-October's flurry of rare birds on Barren River Lake had me revisit a
list of sightings that I compiled a few years ago regarding where in
Kentucky have the most unusual birds been seen. That review was sort of
interesting and I thought it might make an interesting Kentucky bird
quiz. You can either cheat and refer to a source of Kentucky bird
records like the Annotated Checklist of the Birds of Kentucky, or you
can challenge yourself by just thinking off the top of your head.

Such a list of locations can be compiled in several different ways; the
manner in which I currently have "scored" the sites (and the one that
will provide the solution for this quiz) will be based on the locations
that have yielded the most sightings of species that have been seen
about 5 times or less in the state. Each record of such a species yields
a 'point' for that site. The different sites were a little difficult to
delineate in a comparable fashion, which may yield a few different
answers, but with nothing to lose I assume no one will quibble too much
with the manner in which I decided to split them up ... :o)

Most of this is pretty apparent if you are a student of rare birds in
Kentucky, but a few of the results are quite interesting.

I'll post *my* list of sites in a week or so.

BPB, Louisville