[birdky] Mitchell Lake - Buff-breasted Sandpiper

  • From: Jeff Rowe <rowesjd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 08:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

At Mitchell Lake this morning, I missed the Stilt Sandpiper and Black terns but
added two more species of shorebirds.  A Buff-breasted sandpiper was seen
foraging in the grass on the north end of Mitchell Lake.  It was with several
Killdeer which gave me excellent size perspective.  The uniform tan face and
breast were clearly seen.  As I approcahed for a better view, it dissapeared
into the taller grass.  Not wishing to spook it, I left it a lone.  On the mud
bar at the south end of the lake I found a Golden plover.  I also found the
Short-billed dowitcher reported yesterday.