[birdky] Re: Literary/bird question: what is a quebrantahuessoses?

  • From: Ian Stewart <itsacharliebrownchristmas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:59:37 -0400

Charlie,

I have no real answer I am afraid, but 'burres' could be a corruption of
'murres'. I'm not sure how common true murres are on the west coast, though
there are plenty of types of puffin there.

I wonder if 'quebrantahuessoses' could be a type of goose, since 'Branta' is
the goose genus (think also of brants).

If you find out the answer I hope you tell us all! Good luck on your sleuthing.

Ian

Ian Stewart
Department of Biology
University of Kentucky
Lexington
KY 40506-0225
(859) 323-9499
itsacharliebrownchristmas@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [birdky] No sighting. Literary/bird question: what is a
quebrantahuessoses?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:18:06 -0500

I have been reading "The Voyages of Captain Cook"On his 3rd voyage heading up
the west coast of North America he refers to the birds he encounters.
Quote: "or flying about in flocks
or pairs, the chief of which were a few quebrantahuessoses,
divers, ducks, or large peterels, gulls, shags, and burres."
I know about divers, ducks, petrels and shags.But what the heck are
quebrantahuessoses????????????Google and Bing only come up with the text of the
book.Or what about a burre???Google only comes up with recent people with that
name.
CharlieHenderson Co.

Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen3:102009