[birdky] Late Hummingbirds

  • From: "Mark Monroe" <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:49:09 -0500

The last report of a hummingbird to Birdky came on Oct 17, although
there are 2 young male Ruby-throateds in Louisville that were still
present at a feeder as recently as a couple days ago (and probably
still are), but these are clearly the exception and not the rule.  It
is likely that some Rufous, and perhaps rarer, hummingbirds are around
and that they may not appear at first glance much different from the
Ruby-throateds that many are used to.  Often reports don't come in
until the temperatures dip well below freezing, but any hummingbird
from this date on is interesting and worthy of reporting either to the
list, or to Brainard or me directly offlist, and we'd love to hear
about them.

Thanks

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY