[birdky] KY Conservation Committee Membership

  • From: "Brian Myres" <myresb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:32:33 -0400

Fellow KOS members;

My name is Brian Myres, and I am a member of KOS. I am also on the Board =
of the Kentucky Conservation Committee, which is the main lobbying group =
for many member environmental organizations in Kentucky. When in =
session, we monitor bills being proposed for their environmental impact, =
and then decide either to support the bill or to reject it; our =
lobbyists then go to work to convince lawmakers of the validity of our =
decision.=20

Many of the pieces of legislation affect habitat and its loss, such as =
bills to clean up (or pollute) the rivers and streams, bills to remove =
forests for mining or development, and bills to alter our parks and =
wildlife areas. Obviously these bills affect both the native birds and =
migratory species; recently, many of them have not been very kind to the =
birds! Our group has, however, had good success in either toning down =
destructive legislation or getting it defeated. It is critical to talk =
directly to legislators about conservation issues!=20

Quite a few environmental organizations have joined us in this cause. =
The Beckham Bird Club of Louisville, for instance, supports us with =
funds every year. But costs have increased now that the legislature =
meets in yearly sessions, and to keep up our work we need many more =
members. If you think that protecting birds and their habitats, as well =
as supporting other environmental causes in Kentucky, is important, =
won't you copy, fill out and mail the attached membership form and join =
us in this cause? Please remember, if there's no habitat left, there =
will be no birds to watch! I thank you for your support.=20

Brian Myres

KCC Board=20

-- Type: application/msword
-- File: The Earth Needs A Friend In Frankfort.doc