[birdky] Hummingbirds and natural food

  • From: "pbjoin" <pbjoin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:24:19 -0400

I've forgotten who made the comment about more natural food being available
for hummingbirds, but I have to give that notion a big second.  I don't
think I've ever, in my twenty years of wandering Cherokee Park (Louisville),
seen so much Jewelweed in the park, and I understand that to be a huge food
source for migrating hummers.

I know Jewelweed likes moisture, so I have attributed the huge jewelweed
patches to the wet conditions we've had all summer.  I had also attributed
this, perhaps erroneously, to the fall and winter storms having opened up a
bit more tree canopy in the park; it seems like all of the undergrowth is
doing extremely well with a bit more sun.  Both the spring and summer
wildflowers have done very well there this year.