[birdky] Hummingbird Feeding

  • From: "T. K. Tolford" <bandertt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:39:33 -0400

 Mark is right on target!

We encourage folks to keep one feeder out through the winter in the event that a western vagrant finds its way to our area.

Where the Rufous is concerned, our winters are mild in relation to what it is accustomed to. The breed as far north as the Yukon Territory!

There is an apparent sighting of a Rufous Hummingbird in northern Ohio, and a possible sighting in northern KY presently. If/when it is confirmed, the homeowner will post the sighting.

There are ways to keep the nectar from freezing during the coldest months. It is o.k. only during the freezing temperatures to change your mixture form 4 parts water per 1 part sugar to 3 parts water per 1 part sugar. This is not normally recommended, but it will lower the freezing temperature of the nectar. It is not necessary during migration to do this. Hummers "Binge" the last couple of hour or so of daylight to get what they need for the night. The thicker mixture is really only necessary during freezing temperatures. The thicker mixture tends to coat the bill with sugar.

Good luck!

Tim Tolford
licensed songbird/hummingbird bander
www.hbrcnet.org

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY