[birdky] Horseshoe Road slough & Sloughs report 5/28

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 22:32:43 -0500

I checked Horseshoe Road slough in western Henderson Co. this morning
(5/28).
Some of the land has now been planted but not all of it...but it
looks like it will be soon.
I walked the length from the NE edge to the SW edge and back.

Present were
Great blue heron
Mallard family
Blue-winged teal - 1 male
Wood duck family - 2
Lesser scaup -1- still hanging around
Surf scoter -1- still hanging around
Bald eagle checked the slough but moved on
Semipal. plover - 75
Killdeer - 20
Black-bellied plover - 5 - they seem to be leaving
Spotted Sandp. - 1
Lesser yellowlegs - 2
Dunlin - 1 - they seem to have left
Semipal. sandp - 75
Least tern - 2

Gone are the Dowitchers.

Next covered Jenny Hole/Highland Creek Unit; then Cape Hills Unit
Other birds of note:
Hooded merganser family at JH/HC
Louisiana waterthrush at CH
Kentucky warbler at both JH/HC and CH

So far it seems dickcissel numbers are back up after being low last
year.

Charlie
Henderson Co.