[birdky] Fulton County and Dams 26 June 2009

  • From: dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:12:33 -0700 (PDT)

David Brown and I made a trip to Fulton County today with a stop by the dams
with the following highlights:

FULTON COUNTY

WILLOW POND
Mallard w/ brood

ISLAND 8 SLOUGH
Pied-billed Grebe
Black-necked Stilt (2)

STATE LINE SLOUGH
Black-necked Stilt

OBION WMA/UPPER BOTTOMS
Blue-winged Teal (2 males loafing which suggests possible breeding)
Greater Yellowlegs
Forster's Tern (2)

We encountered very few Least Terns in the fields where Joanie and I saw many
last week and hopefully they are finding suitable nesting sites now.  The
number of stilts observed in the lower bottoms dropped from 18 last week to 3.
Mississippi Kites and Fish Crows were scattered as were Great Egrets.  Only two
Little Blue Herons were observed near Long Point.  There were several Great
Egrets present at the Phillippy pits in Tn.

KENTUCKY DAM
Common Loon (2)
Laughing Gull (adult)

BARKLEY DAM
Canvasback (male)
Lesser Scaup (~12)
Am White Pelican

KUTTAWA ROOKERY
DC Cormorants, Great Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Little Blue Herons, Black-Crowned
Night-Herons

David Roemer
Bowling Green