[birdky] Cherokee Park miscellaneous

  • From: "Ward Wilson" <ward@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 19:17:50 -0500

On Thanksgiving late afternoon I walked off some pumpkin pie on the loop in
Cherokee Park in Louisville from about 5 to 6 pm.  I got to see a Cooper's
hawk catch a bird - not sure the prey species, but there were lots of black,
white, and gray feathers.  Maybe a junco.  Later, on the Dingle section I
saw a catbird from a few feet away, have seen this bird there before.  Near
the end of my walk, I heard Great-Horned Owls calling from the area near the
archery field, where Beals Branch Rd meets the loop - one or more were east
of me, towards the Nettleroth sanctuary where I have heard some have nested.

Today I was removing invasive plants in Wildflower Woods in the park, near
Baringer Spring and the end of Eastern Pkwy.  I saw lots of robins and a
downy woodpecker, heard a nuthatch.  Last month on our work day there were
lots of chickadees, titmice, and others working over the white snakeroot
that had gone to seed.  I have seen both Carolina and house wrens in these
woods; also Cooper's hawk (regularly) and a redtail hawk (once).

Ward Wilson

Louisville, KY