[birdky] Blackpoll Warbler

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:15:28 -0400

Yesterday (Memorial Day) Les and I watched and listened to a BLACKPOLL
WARBLER in one of our spruce trees for six hours, from 9 a.m. to 3
P.M... Since the tree was 40+ feet tall and the warbler stayed in the
upper six feet or so, we were never able to get a photo. I was in high
hopes that it would be here again today, and perhaps we could get a
photo today. But, alas, I have neither heard nor seen any signs of it
today and think perhaps it has moved on. We were 100% positive about the
song being that of a Blackpoll and 99% sure about the visual ID. Field
marks which we definitely recorded were: black cap, streaked flanks,
short thin bill, strong white wing bars. It sang continuously and flew
in and out of the dense new growth on the tree.

Cheers,
Joan Carr
511 Happy Valley
South Williamson, KY (Pike Co.)