[birdky] Re: BKY: Scott Weidensaul at Beckham Bird Club's March Dinner Meeting

  • From: chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:51:32 +0000

Let me offer this recommendation (as someone who has also been honored to be a
speaker at BBC and KOS meetings in the past):

_Living on the Wind_ is The Best Book I Have Ever Read.  Period.  And I have
read a lot of books.  If you care about birds and the environment and don't
read it, shame on you.  I read one passage on a plane that nearly had me in
tears (which, if you know me, should tell you something).  The opening
paragraphs of his chapter on Dauphin Island are positively brilliant; one of
the best prose passages I've ever found.  So go read it.  Right now.  I'm not
kidding.  I'll even make it easy on you:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Wind-Across-Hemisphere-Migratory/dp/0865475911/sr=8-1/qid=1170189921/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5437556-0989643?ie=UTF8&s=books

Ghost with Trembling Wings is great too, as is Return to Wild America.  Scott
is the best natural history writer of this generation, hands down, and one of
the best of all time, in my opinion (and when I say all time, I'm going back at
least to Pliny the Elder).

I have also had the pleasure of hearing Scott speak before and having dinner
and a few beers with him.  You will all thoroughly enjoy having him there; I
may make the trip myself just for that reason.  Don't miss it.

--
Chris Sloan
chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: Beckhambc@xxxxxxx