[birdky] A day below 90 degrees at 739 pond

  • From: Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:57:17 -0500

I knew it was going to be a good afternoon at 739 Pond when I spotted a
Black-necked Stilt before starting down to the pond from the gravel pull off.
Once at the shore of the pond, I spotted two Black-necked Stilts and in the
light overcast conditions, got better pictures than I've gotten of these birds
before. Four Least Sandpipers and many Killdeer fed nearby. Then on up the
shore, I found a White-rumped Sandpiper and got some pics of it. Tree and Barn
Swallows were everywhere. The Ring-necked Ducks were still there, along with a
pair of Blue-winged Teals, a Wood Duck brood, several Mallards and some Canada
Geese.
        Almost back to my truck, I saw a pair of Savannah Sparrows feeding on
the ground in the quarter acre grassy area surrounding the tobacco barn, which
is the reason for the gravel pull off. I have never seen Savannah Sparrows in
June before.

Frank Lyne
frank@xxxxxxxxxxx - near Dot in Logan County, KY