[birdky] 23 October 2002

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:22:39 -0700 (PDT)

A stop by McElroy Lake this morning revealed pretty
much the same birds that have been present the past
few days, with the addition of 7 American Golden
Plovers.  Tom Durbin reported a phalarope species, a
probable Red on the 20th, but unfortunately it didn't
hang around.

Needing a Virginia Rail for the year, and failing to
produce one on the Sloughs trip, I spent part of the
afternoon at the Peabody WMA in Ohio County armed with
a tape player.  I first stopped at a marshy pond on
the Homestead Unit, and soon had a Virginia oinking.
It checked me out from a distance of only 5-6 feet,
affording a fabulous look at this beautiful rail.  The
next stop was a marshy beaver pond where 2 responded
to my tape at the same time.  Virginia Rails in
stereo!

I spent a couple of hours stomping through some good
looking Yellow Rail habitat without success, but did
flush a Grasshopper Sparrow.

I received an email today from Leif Anderson who
reported a Western Kingbird at the pond just north of
the intersection of Hwy 94 and Business 94 south of
Hickman in Fulton County on the 21st.  The bird was
observed hawking insects from a wire near the pond.

Dave