[ask] House Wren at Shaker Village

  • From: Sydney Penner <sfp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 14:24:43 -0500

I'm still not sure just which species at which time of the year are worth posting to the list, but I'm pretty sure the House Wren that I saw today at Shaker Village is unusually early for hereabouts. The bird was skulking in the weeds in the northernmost field along the Chinquapin Trail.

I'm confident about the ID as I got a decent look at the bird and heard it scolding. Size and lack of a distinct supercilium rule out Carolina Wren, but it seemed too large with too strong of beak to be a Winter Wren. It also didn't hold its tail in the cocked up position typical of Winter Wrens and wasn't in the sort of habitat that I associate with Winter Wrens.

My complete eBird list is below. It was a great day for sparrows.

Sydney Penner
Wilmore, KY

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  20
Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo)  1     Heard gobbling in the distance.
Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus)  3
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  5
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  2
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  4
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  1
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis)  10
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  5
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  8
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 1 Unusually early. Found skulking and scolding in weedy field, so not the habitat in which I would expect to find a Winter Wren. Also appeared too large, with too large a bill, and did not hold tail cocked up as Winter Wrens usually do. Lacked the distinct supercilium that Carolina Wrens have and also appeared too small.
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)  3
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  10
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata)  3
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  5
American Tree Sparrow (Spizella arborea)  10
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  1
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla)  10
Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus)  1
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  3
Fox Sparrow (Red) (Passerella iliaca iliaca/zaboria)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  10
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  5
White-crowned Sparrow (Eastern) (Zonotrichia leucophrys leucophrys)  8
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) (Junco hyemalis hyemalis/carolinensis)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  20
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  4
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  3
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  2