[bigbangrobotics] Big Bang Robotics 2003 season wrap up

  • From: Jay Johnson <tallyjay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free List <bigbangrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 06:37:06 -0800 (PST)

Season?s greetings!
During the past year the sport of robotic combat has
continued to grow and gain exposure with the formation
of the RFL, or Robot Fighting League,
(http://www.botleague.com) and their standardization
of competition rules, the launch of a slick new
robotics magazine (http://www.servomagazine.com), and
sixteen regional competitions for the 60 pound and up
weight classes.  In addition, ?sub-lightweight?
competitions for bots under 60 lbs have proliferated.

2003 was a good year for Big Bang Robotics, our
middleweight robot ?Heavy Metal Noise?, and our
sponsor Fenner Drives (http://www.fennerdrives.com) as
we participated in some great competitions.  Our best
finishes for the year were the quarterfinals at
BattleBeach in Ormond Beach, FL and a strong third
place finish in a tough field at Robot Assault in
Hendersonville, NC.  I also had the opportunity to
participate as a judge in ?The Capitol Offense? ant-
and beetle-weight event; this was a new experience
that gave me an appreciation for how hard the judges
work at these events.  Some of those 1 and 2 pound
bots are serious pieces of engineering!

Our team is looking forward to a busy year in 2004.
Our first competition looks to be BattleBeach II in
Ormond Beach, FL 1/30/2004 through 2/1/2004.  For
those of you living in or near Florida this would be a
great event to attend either as a participant or as a
spectator.  I'll send out additional details on this
event after the first of the year.

For all your power transmission needs check out Fenner
Drives at http://www.fennerdrives.com