[betabookcourier] Re: Does it work?

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <betabookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:00:24 -0000

Hi Katie,

Bit of a loaded question that, does it work?  OK, I'll try to answer that
with the testing I have done so far.

First, because of the limitations we have in the amount of headers for
navigation (only 2 at the moment), I have stuck to simple RNIB talking
books, with very little navigation.  The first thing I have to say is that
the playback quality is excellent - better than most Daisy players sold by
RNIB, or anyone else, which is a big big plus.

Now to navigation.  What is paragraph navigation?  As far as I know, Daisy
doesn't allow for paragraph navigation, and the BC certainly doesn't treat
paragraphs as paragraphs, instead, it just uses heading 1 navigation as para
navigation, so this probably makes no sense in the Daisy structure.

Now, we come to the "does it work" bit.  Navigation of any kind, only seems
to work if you first play the book.  If you try to navigate from the stopped
position, then forget it.  You will usually just get a report that you are
zero percent through the file, and get unceremoneously dumped back to the
beginning of the book, not very nice, as there is no undo feature.  Any
chance of an undo feature in the future?

OK, given that we are playing a book, then all the nav functions seem to do
what they say on the tin, but again, para nav makes no sense.  Phrase and
heading hav seem to work beautifully though, provided you don't stop the
book, and then try to move.

So does it work?  Kind of.

One more comment I would like to make is that for people who don't know the
Daisy structure, at the moment, it is quite difficult to browse for a Daisy
book, since you need to know that the NCC file is the header file,
otherwise, you could just pull in individual MP3's and wonder why you
haven't got the whole book <Smile>.  How will you propose to do it in the
finished version?  Will you have a Daisy menu, or some way to browse for
Daisy books, and have the Transfer Tool look for the header file only?  I
think just doing it with file types may confuse new users.  It would perhaps
be nice if the end product could give you the Daisy book title in the browse
window, when you are looking for a book, rather like Audible.

I hope these comments are useful, and even with the current restrictions, I
am really enjoying my multi-format talking book player.  Keep up the great
work.

All the best
mobile:  +44(0)7956 334938,
Email:  Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx