[betabookcourier] Re: CF FAT32

  • From: Katie Walker <katie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: betabookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:39:17 -0800

Hi Chris,

I ran your questions by Steve. Here's what he says:

At 09:23 AM 12/5/2005, you wrote:
Hello Katie and Steve and list,

1) why CF limited to 4GB (if answer is FAT size see point 2), increasing
cluster size decrees FAT size)

We calculate the total flash card space using a 32 bit unsigned integer so we can't go any higher than 4GB.

2) must CF be formatted on BC (if yes which cluster size is used) or also
may be formatted on PC with a cluster size >=4K <=32K?.

We don't know yet. In the past we told people to format the cards on BC so we could control the cluster size and optimize it for better performance. It doesn't look like this will be an issue with the 32 bit support. However, there are still some issues with the new support, so we may want users to continue formatting cards on BC -- it's too soon to make a decision at this point.

Katie

Chris.

Katie Walker
Springer Design, Inc.